Taiwan welcomes all international entrepreneurs to start your business in Taiwan – apply for the Entrepreneur Visa
Taiwan offers several visa options for international entrepreneurs.
If you want to come for a short period of time to learn about the business opportunities in Taiwan, nationals of 40+ countries are eligible for 30-90 days Visa-Exempt Entry.
Foreign nationals can own 100% of a Taiwanese corporation and you do not need to be a Taiwan resident to do so.
Taiwan residency of course have a lot of benefits and for this purpose Taiwan offers the Entrepreneur Visa.
Qualified teams can get resident visas for up to 3 people for one year, extendable another two years.
Why Entrepreneur Visa?
You and your team can enjoy being residents of Taiwan while you explore starting your company.
Initially you don’t even need to set up a business while you are finding vendors, learning the market or developing your products.
The Entrepreneur Visa has unlimited entries, so you can take advantage of Taiwan’s geographic location at the heart of Asia.
When you do set up your business, as an Entrepreneur Visa holder, your company can apply for special privileges for hiring foreign employees. As a Taiwan resident you have access to our world class health care system.
What Taiwan has to offer:
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Entrepreneur Visa, you or your team needs to fulfill ONE of these criteria.
- Your team has received domestic or foreign venture capital or funding via a qualified crowdfunding platform of at least NTD2 million (USD63,000). Investors should be professional investors.
- In Taiwan you know the investor qualify because of having the word “investor” in their company name or the right business license item. If in doubt, when submitting your application, provide documentation proving your investors are professional investors.
- Large crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter and IndieGogo has been accepted in the past. If you use another platform, submit documentation regarding the platform.
- Your team has been accepted to a recognized entrepreneurial park, incubator or accelerator in Taiwan. Taiwan has a lot of great programs you can apply for. See the list here.
- Your team hold Taiwanese or overseas patents. These patents has to be related to the current project you are working on.
- Your team has won an international startup or design competition such as IDG Demo Show, Red Dot, iF design etc.
- Your team members have collectively invested at least NT$1 million in your qualified innovative startup and one of your team members is the legal representative of that company.
If you have questions about these criteria and how you qualify, you can ask the InvesTaiwan Service Center. They also offers a one-stop-service combining the resources of central ministries and local governments, to help investors overcome obstacles faced in Taiwan:
Tel: +886-2-23892111, +886-2-23914950
How to Apply?
If you are already in Taiwan and have decided which criteria to use for your application, submit it to BOCA. They will verify your Entrepreneur Visa eligibility with MOEA and if you pass, BOCA will then issue your visa and the immigration office will give you your ARC. Now you are ready to explore the fantastic business environment in Taiwan!
If you are outside of Taiwan you need to turn to the closest Embassy or Mission. Welcome to Taiwan!
If you are from Hong Kong or Macau, there are special rules, the process is a bit different.
Taiwan Entrepreneur Visa FAQ
Am I eligible? Is it extendable? What are the crowdfunding platforms? What are the qualified VCs?